Lent Sermon Series and Study
God is knowable. As followers of Jesus, we are invited not just to understand God, but to experience God. This Lent, as we take the 40-day journey to Easter, we would like to spend less time trying to explain God and more time learning to encounter God through scripture.
We would love to journey together with you as we explore the God of the universe who has mysteriously chosen to be available to us, his children—to be present to us in our joy and grief, in our success and failure, in our death and resurrection.
We will read Wondrous Encounters by Richard Rohr as an Apex UMC Family. Our sermons, as well as conversations in groups and classes, will center around this book. You may purchase a copy for $7 on Sunday mornings at your campus (in English or Spanish), in the church office during the week, or you may download a digital copy.
Our Apex UMC Family is offering multiple worship services and events across our campuses during Holy Week, April 9-16. All are welcome!
HOLY WEEK AT APEX UMC
- Palm/Passion Sunday: April 9. The Apex UMC Chancel Choir will present the Requiem of composer Gabriel Fauré at 8:15, 9:35, and 11 a.m. in the sanctuary. Accompanied by organ and chamber orchestra, this classical work will be interspersed with Scripture and responsive readings that guide us to meditate on Christ’s ultimate sacrifice for all humanity as we begin Holy Week.
- Maundy Thursday: April 13, 7 p.m., sanctuary. On this day, we commemorate the last supper Jesus celebrated with his disciples. The word Maundy comes from the Latin word “mandatum,” meaning “commandment,” and refers to Jesus’ commandment to love one another. Our worship service will include communion, hymns, Scripture readings and extinguishing of candles.
- Good Friday: April 14. On this day, we remember the death and burial of Jesus. We will worship with our other campuses – services are offered at the Peak and 519 campuses.
- Children’s Easter Celebration: April 15, 10-11:30 a.m., Christian Life Center. Bring your children to Road to Resurrection, an event that will get your family talking and walking with Jesus! Scriptures from the Gospels guide families through the events surrounding Jesus’ death and resurrection. After the program, children ages birth-11 are invited to join us for an Easter egg hunt
- Easter Sunday: April 16. Come and worship our risen Lord! Traditional services will be held at 8:15, 9:35 and 11 a.m. in the sanctuary. Contemporary services will be held at 9:35 and 11 a.m. in the Christian Life Center.
We will not have worship on April 8 or April 15. We invite all our Saturday worshipers to come enjoy our services on Sunday morning.
We invite all children, youth and volunteers to worship with their families on Easter Sunday! There will be no youth or children’s Sunday School or Children’s Church. Nursery for ages 3 and under is available for all worship services.
HOLY WEEK AT THE PEAK CHURCH
- Palm Sunday: April 9, 9:30 and 11 a.m. We are kicking off Holy Week this year with what the church calls, “Palm Sunday!” Our kids will perform special music, the church will be decorated with palm branches (historical symbols of “victory”) as we celebrate Jesus, our long awaited Messiah.
- Maundy Thursday: April 13, 6 p.m. The night before Jesus died, he gathered his disciples for a meal. It was a meal meant to remember all the times God had rescued his people from captivity. This Maundy Thursday, join us as we gather around tables to remember and celebrate our own stories of liberation. Childcare provided (birth through pre-K).
- Good Friday: April 14, 7 p.m. The Last Seven Words of Christ: We believe God has directly empathized with our grief and suffering through the death of Jesus. In this service, we will recount his final moments and hear how members of our community have found solace in this mystery. Childcare provided up to 5th grade.
- Easter Sunday: April 15 Come and worship our risen Lord! Sunrise service (rain or shine) at 6:30 a.m. Worship at 9:30 and 11 a.m. Childcare provided (birth through pre-K).
HOLY WEEK AT 519CHURCH
- Palm Sunday: April 9. Worship with us at 9:30 or 11 a.m. as we read the whole story leading from height of Jesus’ triumphant procession to the depth of his crucifixion. (nursery and kids programming)
- Good Friday: April 14. Gather at 7 p.m. in the mausoleum at Wake Memorial Park to process our lament and taste the despair of Jesus’ disciples. No childcare.
- Easter Sunday: April 16. Rise with the Mary’s for our Easter Sunrise Service at Wake Memorial Park at 6:45 a.m. (no childcare), and then bring your people to celebrate with us in worship at 9:30 and 11 a.m. at 519church (nursery and kids programming).
HOLY WEEK AT FIESTA CRISTIANA
- Passion Sunday: April 9, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Discipleship Center room 400 (Apex campus). Join us for Passion Sunday, the retelling of Jesus’ journey to the cross and a traditional Seder meal. This is a special service kicking off the events of Holy Week.
- Youth Retreat to Washington, D.C. “History: God’s Presence in Time.” Based on Deuteronomy 4:31-32a, youth are encouraged to inquire about our history and God’s presence and promise throughout time. Fiesta Youth received a grant from the General Board of Church and Society to participate in a workshop while in D.C.; the workshop is focused on the church’s faithful response to immigration. While we are in D.C. we will also visit monuments such as the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial and the Holocaust Museum.
- Children’s Easter Celebration: April 15, 10-11:30 a.m., Christian Life Center (Apex campus). We will join with our Apex campus in Road to Resurrection, an event that guides families through the events surrounding Jesus’ death and resurrection. After the program, children ages birth-11 are invited to join us for an Easter egg hunt.
- Easter Sunday with Baptisms: April 16, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. with appetizers after the service to celebrate our new births in Christ! On Easter Sunday we will celebrate the resurrection of Jesus and welcome the youth back from their trip to Washington, D.C. After the service, we invite you to join us for a potluck style sharing of appetizers to continue the celebration.