The Children’s Ministry Director serves as the primary point of contact for Apex UMC’s Children’s Ministry with a focus on elementary ministry. The ideal candidate will passionately care and nurture the faith formation of children and will equip parents, leaders and volunteers to be great shepherds in the spiritual formation of children. This position is full-time (32 hours per week).
The Children’s Ministry Director for Apex UMC will report to the Apex UMC Campus Pastor and will be responsible for the following:
- Work closely and effectively with the Campus Pastor to keep him/her well informed of his/her outlined area of responsibility.
- Manage the work of the Children’s Ministry Associate with the end goal of creating a strong team to support Children’s Ministry at Apex UMC.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Ensure that the Safe Sanctuaries policy is enforced for every activity involving children.
- Ensure that all volunteers are background checked.
- Prepare and maintain budget for Children’s Ministry at Apex UMC.
- Work with Nursery Coordinator to coordinate appropriate nursery and childcare requests related to Children’s Ministry for Apex UMC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee Elementary Ministries which includes curriculum and appropriate customization to fit the Apex environment and ordering necessary materials for leaders each Sunday.
- Recruit, train, equip, and care for Elementary Ministry volunteers for Sunday morning programming. These should be quarterly trainings and investments.
- Lead the Children’s Ministry Design Team with the Children’s Ministry Associate.
- Work with the Children’s Associate for the planning of VBS, specifically for elementary.
- Communicate with Elementary parents on a regular basis and build relationships with families.
- Develop and execute transitions for both parents and elementary children into youth ministry, lead appropriate classes for parents.
- Work with Children’s Ministry Leadership Team to plan and participate in age appropriate activities for elementary aged children. These may include but are not limited to Fall Kick Off, Christmas and Easter Celebrations, and VBS.
- Participate in Family Ministries team meetings, Apex UMC Family of Faith Communities All Staff meetings and regular meetings of the Apex faith community.
- Be present on Sundays at the 9:35 hour to build relationships with families, children, and volunteers.
- Follow up with new families each week throughout all of Children’s Ministry at Apex UMC.
- Post Children’s Ministry attendance in ACS.
- Align teachings and create content when needed throughout the year to connect the family and children, examples may be during the Advent and Lent Season.
- Plan programming and order bibles for 3rd graders each year.
Volunteer Leadership and Management:
- Invite and equip volunteers to serve in Apex UMC’s Children’s Ministry specifically elementary ministry.
- Collaborate with Apex UMC’s Children’s Ministry leaders, volunteers and Campus Pastor to design, develop, manage and evaluate Apex UMC’s Children’s Ministry.
- Pour self and energy into the Apex UMC’s Children’s Ministry leaders and volunteers so they are becoming disciples of Jesus and so they can help all those on their ministry teams grow as disciples of Jesus.
The following should be done in partnership and collaboration with the developing Children’s Ministry Leadership Team at Apex UMC and the Family Ministries Team:
- Partner with Missions leaders to plan age appropriate mission activities for Elementary children and their parents.
- Partner with Congregational Care leaders to develop caring ministries for elementary children and their families.
- Attend meetings and events as directed by the Campus Pastor, including meeting consistently with Family Ministries Team and the Children’s Ministry Leadership Team.
- Provide leadership, coordination, and support for special projects and events as assigned by the Lead Pastor and Campus Pastor.
- Pray regularly and actively develop one’s personal faith.
- Sense God’s calling to this ministry and be eager to use one’s gifts and talents to serve Christ.
- Commit to invite and equip laity to serve in this ministry area.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Passion for helping children to grow as disciples of Jesus utilizing an Orange strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree and have a minimum of three years relevant experience.
- Understanding of child development, current in teaching techniques and children’s ministry approaches.
- Strong organizational skills, experience working in and building teams.
- Effective interpersonal skills, highly personable, able to hold children’s attention in large group settings.
- Self-starter and innovator who is willing to do what it takes to connect with and nurture children.
- Ability to mobilize volunteers/staff with gifts for children’s ministry.
- Willingness to continually learn and refine the church’s discipleship methods.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Flexible and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Computer skills – excellent skills with internet social media, familiarity with Microsoft Office products, Google Docs, and willingness to learn and utilize church’s ACS software systems and ProPresenter.
- Conversational fluency in Spanish.
All inquiries and resumes can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be reviewed upon receipt and the job will remain open until filled.