The Children’s Ministry Associate serves as the secondary point of contact for Apex UMC’s Children’s Ministry with a focus on preschool ministry. The ideal candidate will passionately care and nurture the faith formation of children and will equip parents, leaders and volunteers to be great shepherds in the spiritual formation of children. This position is part-time (20 hours per week).
The Children’s Ministry Associate for Apex UMC will report to the Children’s Ministry Director at Apex UMC and will be responsible for the following:
- Work closely and effectively with the Children’s Ministry Director to keep him/her well informed of his/her outlined area of responsibility.
- Act as a liaison with Fiesta Cristiana to ensure their children and families are included in ministry activities, specifically Sunday mornings.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Ensure that the Safe Sanctuaries policy is enforced for every activity involving children.
- Maintain background checks for volunteers you lead.
- Work with Children’s Ministry Director to create a budget.
- Work with Nursery Coordinator to coordinate appropriate nursery and childcare requests related to Children’s Ministry for Apex UMC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee Preschool Ministries (nursery and 3-4 year olds) which includes curriculum and making appropriate adjustments to fit the Apex UMC environment and ordering necessary materials for leaders and volunteers each week.
- Recruit, train, equip, and care for Preschool Ministry volunteers for Sunday morning programming.
- Manage Children’s Church during the 11 am hour. Plan lessons for leaders to execute, recruit leaders to serve, and train/equip volunteers.
- Support the Children’s Ministry Design Team with the Children’s Ministry Director.
- Collaborate with the Children’s Ministry Director for the planning of Vacation Bible School (VBS), specifically for preschool.
- Communicate with preschool parents on a regular basis and build relationships with families.
- Develop and execute transitions for both parents and preschool children into Kindergarten.
- Work with Children’s Ministry Leadership Team at Apex UMC to plan and participate in age appropriate activities for preschool aged children. These may include but are not limited to Fall Kick Off, Christmas and Easter Celebrations, and VBS.
- Prepare children’s worship bulletins for volunteers to put out for worship each week.
- Be present on Sundays at the 9:35 hour to build relationships with families, children, and volunteers.
Volunteer Leadership and Management:
- Invite and equip volunteers to serve in Apex UMC’s Children’s Ministry specifically children’s church and preschool ministry.
- Collaborate with Apex UMC’s Children’s Ministry leaders, volunteers and Campus Pastor to design, develop, manage and evaluate Apex UMC’s Children’s Ministry.
- Pour self and energy into the Apex UMC’s Children’s Ministry leaders and volunteers so they are becoming disciples of Jesus and so they can help all those on their ministry teams grow as disciples of Jesus.
The following should be done in partnership and collaboration with the developing Children’s Ministry Leadership Team at Apex UMC and the Family Ministries Team:
- Partner with Missions leaders to plan age appropriate mission activities for preschool children.
- Partner with Congregational Care leaders to develop caring ministries for preschool children and their families.
- Attend meetings and events as directed by the Campus Pastor, including meeting consistently with Family Ministries Team and the Children’s Ministry Leadership Team.
- Provide leadership, coordination, and support for special projects and events as assigned by the Lead Pastor and Campus Pastor.
- Pray regularly and actively develop one’s personal faith.
- Sense God’s calling to this ministry and be eager to use one’s gifts and talents to serve Christ.
- Commit to invite and equip laity to serve in this ministry area.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Passion for helping children to grow as disciples of Jesus utilizing an Orange strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree and have a minimum of three years relevant experience.
- Understanding of child development, current in teaching techniques and children’s ministry approaches.
- Strong organizational skills, experience working in and building teams.
- Effective interpersonal skills, highly personable, able to hold children’s attention in large group settings.
- Self-starter and innovator who is willing to do what it takes to connect with and nurture children.
- Ability to mobilize volunteers/staff with gifts for children’s ministry.
- Willingness to continually learn and refine the church’s discipleship methods.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Flexible and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Computer skills – excellent skills with internet social media, familiarity with Microsoft Office products, Google Docs, and willingness to learn and utilize church’s ACS software systems and ProPresenter.
- Conversational fluency in Spanish.
All inquiries and resumes can be sent to email@example.com. Resumes will be reviewed upon receipt and the job will remain open until filled.